Friday, June 19, 2009

A legend moves on!!

Ustad Ali Akbar Khan! The 'Sarod' will never sound the same again! A colossus in the world of Indian Classical Music, his phenomenal presence touched generations across 5 decades!

A Padma Bhushan and a Padma Vibhushan recipient, Khansaheb had been designated a 'Living National Treasure' in India.

My journey with Indian classical music brought me opportunities of personal interaction with the legend. One of the earliest memories I have of him is of a concert at the Shanmukhanand Hall, Mumbai. He was accompanied by Ustad Alla Rakha, yet another name this country is proud of. The music being created that evening was sheer magic!

During one of my visits to the US of A, I was accompanying Pt Jasraj. Panditji was scheduled to've a concert at Khansaheb's Music School in California. When we got there, I was introduced to Khansaheb who very lovingly took me by my hand and gave me a personal tour of the entire Ali Akbar College of Music. We exchanged notes on a number of topics and I was overwhelmed by the attention being meted out to me! I was also introduced to his lovely wife Mary, who sat us down very graciously to some tea! My hands were trembling with a mix of excitement and slight nervousness as I brought the cup to my lips. 'Chai' with the legendary maestro is definitely not everybody's cuppa tea!

That evening, even as I played the Tanpura, I was privileged to share the stage with Pandit Jasraj and Ustad Zakir Hussain while Ustad Ali Akbar Khan witnessed the performance! What a blessed evening that was for me!

We, the music aficionados of the world will miss Khansaheb greatly!
May his soul rest in peace! May his music remain eternal!

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you should name your blog 'the adventures of geetha balsara'!

    good to read this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your experiences are penned so beautifully, Can almost visualise the entire event.....Maa Saraswati has Blessed you in HER own way.....Not everybody's Cuppa tea....Stay Blessed Always...

    ReplyDelete